click here to return to Web version
The "Other" Evolution Movie
- 530 million years ago (mya), was there any living creature alive on land?
- List the types of tools the paleontologist used to find the fossils in the
- Dr. Whittington (the guy that kind of looks like a fossil himself) found
a creature he named Opabinia. How did Opabinia use its trunk?
- List Hallucigenia's traits that protected it.
- During the Cambrian era, approximately how may new species develop?
- Describe how Animalocarus captured its food.
- Why might fins on the side of Animalocarus' legs help it?
- Picaya, the only creature still found today in our oceans since the
Cambrian era, has what special feature?
- In Death Valley, they found fossils of fish that were able to live in fresh
water. Why might it have been hard for saltwater fish to move into fresh water?
HINT: Think about Osmosis!
- What trait allowed the Teraspid fish to survive in fresh water (water
- Why did the backbone develop more after species moved from seawater to fresh
- If it already had gills, why did some fish survive, such as the lungfish's
ancient relative the Eusthenopteron, when its swim bladder (an organ
that helps fish float) mutate into lungs? HINT: Think about the water they
- What evolutionary advantage did limbs (legs) give the ancient ancestors
- What trait evolved that allowed Ichtyostega to finally walk on land?